It’s pizza but not as you know it!
Recipe by Maria dell’Aquila, Owner at Lamezia Fresh Pasta & Pizza, Islington, London.
“We serve this pizza in my restaurant where it literally flies out of the pizza oven! It’s especially good during those winter months when vitamins and minerals can be in short supply. The turmeric base is not only packed with anti-inflammatories and antioxidants but it lends a gorgeous golden hue to the crust. I find butternut squash sauce makes a satisfying change from tomato, is high in fibre and vitamins A,C & E. Topped off with a rainbow of griddled vegetables, this is a sure fire way to satisfy your carb cravings and Keep your immune system in good shape.
Even though I’m Italian I still like to experiment with the classics. As a mum of two under two! I am committed to providing my customers with the same nutritionally packed foods I would serve my family. Maybe that’s how we were recognised this year by Olive Magazine as “Most progressive Italian in the British Isles,”
Enjoy! Love Maria x
For the sourdough pizza base
- 1000ml lukewarm water
- 100g plain flour
- 100g turmeric flour
- 5g salt
- 1g yeast
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
For the butternut squash base
- 2 tablespoons boiled and pureed butternut squash
For the toppings
- Thinly sliced and lightly griddled vegetables such as aubergines, courgettes, red and green peppers
- Pre-heat your oven to 250 degrees
- Measure 1000 ml water in a jug and pour in the yeast and salt stirring gently until smooth.
- Add the plain flour then the turmeric flour and knead until smooth.
- Shape into a dough ball.Place the dough ball in a mixing bowl. Damp with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Cover the bowl with a towel. Let the dough rise for at least 3-4 hours in a warm, draft-free location.
- Transfer the dough to lightly floured work surface.
- Stretch then flatten your pizza bases. Roll into two 12 "pizzas.
- Place the bases on some foil / grease-proof paper ready to top.
- Spread a generous layer of butternut squash over the surface of each pizza and top with a selection of your favourite griddled vegetables
- Lightly brush some oil and place in the oven for 20 minutes. Depending on the oven type.
Facebook: Lamezia Pizzeria
Address: 165 Holloway Road, Islington N7 8LX