It’s pizza, but not as you know it!
Recipe by Maria dell’Aquila, Owner at Lamezia Fresh Pasta & Pizza, Islington, London.
We serve this pizza in my restaurant where it literally flies out of the pizza oven! It’s especially good during those winter months when vitamins and minerals can be in short supply.
The turmeric base is not only packed with anti-inflammatories and antioxidants, but it lends a gorgeous golden hue to the crust. I find butternut squash sauce makes a satisfying change from tomato, is high in fiber and vitamins A,C & E. Topped off with a rainbow of grilled vegetables, this is a sure fire way to satisfy your carb cravings and give your immune system a boost.
Even though I’m Italian I still like to experiment with the classics. As a mom of two under two I am committed to providing my customers with the same nutritionally packed foods I would serve my family. Maybe that’s how we were recognized this year by Olive Magazine as “Most progressive Italian in the British Isles,” Enjoy!
For the sourdough pizza base:
- 4 cups of lukewarm water
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- 3/4 cup turmeric flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp yeast
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For the butternut squash base:
- 2 tablespoons boiled and mashed butternut squash
For the toppings:
- Thinly sliced and lightly grilled vegetables such as eggplant, zucchini, red and green peppers
- Pre-heat your oven to 480°F.
- Add yeast and salt to one quart water, stirring gently until smooth.
- Add the plain flour then the turmeric flour, and knead until smooth.
- Shape into a dough ball and place into a mixing bowl
- Lightly drizzle with olive oil and cover the bowl with a towel.
- Let the dough rise for at least 3-4 hours in a warm, draft-free location.
- Transfer the dough to lightly floured work surface.
- Stretch, then flatten, and roll into two 12" pizza crusts.
- Place the bases on some foil / grease-proof paper ready to top.
- Spread a generous layer of butternut squash over the surface of each pizza and top with a selection of your favorite grilled vegetables.
- Lightly brush some oil and place in the oven for 20 minutes, depending on the oven type.
Lamezia Pizzeria, 165, Holloway Road, London